Hope Lutheran Church was started as a Chapel project of Trinity Lutheran Church on April 19, 1885. Hope was one of the three chapels started at the time. The other were Peace and Faith.
The cornerstone for the Hope Chapel, located on Schuylkill Avenue, was laid on May 21, 1885. The building was dedicated on September 20, 1885 with a construction cost of $2,100.00. This building still stands today, and remains a church.
On April 15, 1887, Hope Lutheran Church was recognized by the synod as a separate congregation.
In early 1904, it was determined that Hope had outgrown the Schuylkill Avenue Chapel, and the property at Front and Greenwich was purchased for the construction of a new building. Ground was broken on May 4, 1904, and the cornerstone was laid on July 3, 1904.
On Thanksgiving day, November 24, 1904, a procession formed at the Schuylkill Avenue chapel, and made its way to the new Hope Lutheran Church building. This new building was dedicated on February 26, 1905. The cost of the new church was $33,323.75.
An addition was added to the church and was completed in the mid 1950's.
Extensive renovations were done to the church from 1964-1965 and was rededicated on May 16, 1965. The renovations cost $160,000.00.
Pastors: Dr. Jacob Fry of Trinity Lutheran Church Rev. Lewis Bickel, also of Trinity. He served Hope, Faith, and Peace Rev. Henry Warmkessel - 1891-1930 (Died while serving) Rev. Horace Mann - 1930-1949 Rev. George Cressman - 1950-1954 Rev. Harold Deisher - 1955-1971 Rev. Theodore E. Getz - 1973-1978 (Died while serving) Rev. James Wolford - 1980-1988 Rev. Pat. Lemmerman - 1980-1983 Rev. Diane Gunther (Assistant Pastor) - 1983-1985 Rev. Carolree A. Uits - 1989-1990 Rev. Keith K. Rohrbach - 1990-2004 Rev. John Miller (Assistant Pastor) - 2001-2002 Rev. Mary Wolfe - 2006-Present